Membership at First Pesbyterian
As a member of First Presbyterian Church, you have a voice and a vote in the decisions of the church. You are also eligible to serve on our boards: Session, Deacons, and Trustees. You can volunteer and serve as a Christian Educator or Small Group leader. You can be involved in the life of the connectional church in serving at the Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery.
The following three steps are designed to make becoming a member of First Presbyterian a clear process.
Please feel free to speak to one of the Pastors or Ushers (have name tags on) just outside the Sanctuary on any Sunday morning after worship service or an Elder in the church office to express your interest in joining.
ATTEND A NEW MEMBER CLASS
New Member Classes are offered as needed. These classes are presented in a casual and relaxed setting and are designed to help newcomers make connections with other new members and the leadership of the church. These courses focus on:
- What it means to be a Christian.
- What it means to be Presbyterian.
- What it means to be a member at First Presbyterian Church, Bartlesville.
PUBLIC PROFESSION OF FAITH IN WORSHIP
Four questions are asked of every person who joins a Presbyterian Church.
- Do you reject the ways of sin and evil – ways that separate you from the love of God?
- Do you trust in Jesus Christ and accept Him as your Lord and Savior?
- Do you promise, relying upon the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes a follower of Jesus Christ?
- Do you promise to be a faithful member of this congregation, sharing in its ministry through your prayers and your gifts, your study, and your service?
It is our desire and mission to discern and develop the Spiritual gifts given to each member of the Body of Christ at First Presbyterian Church and connect those gifted individuals to the unique opportunities God is calling each of us to serve.